In this day and age, when technology has revolutionized the world we live in, eReaders are keeping pace with the times. In the years since they were first introduced to the market, millions of individuals around the globe have purchased an ebook reader, as it is a convenient way to read without causing the clutter build-up that is often associated with the frequent purchase of paperback and hardcover books.
There are several new eReaders on the market that are causing quite a buzz, and for this reason, we have decided to conduct some research in order to determine which device, in our humble opinion, is the best eReader of 2016.
Before purchasing an eReader, you should know a thing or two about them. Details about screen size, resolution, battery life and navigation will help you evaluate the readers that are available and choose the one that best fits your needs.
Since every eReader is different, and as there are several companies that are marketing their own readers, (with the most popular eReaders being manufactured by Amazon and Barnes and Noble), it is important to make sure that you do your homework before you buy, so that you get the one that best meets your needs.
Kindle Voyage Lighted High Res Touch Screen (Best in Class 2016)
The Amazon Kindle Voyage Touchscreen features an amazing 300 ppi High-Def display, meaning that it reads like the pages of a real book.
With a revolutionary new slim design, a battery that lasts for up to six weeks and a self-adjusting light feature, along with the patented Page Press hands-free turning system, the Voyage will quickly become your “go-to” eReader.
The Kindle Voyage is designed to mimic a “real” book as closely as possible. It has a streamlined, easy-to-use system that makes reading almost effortless and goes beyond simply reading a book. It’s lightweight, affordable and “passionately crafted for readers”.
- Dimensions: 6.4″ x 4.5″ x 0.30″
- Battery Life: Up to six weeks
- Screen Size: 6″
- Weight: WiFi–6.3 oz. WiFi + 3G–6.6 oz.
- Resolution: 300 ppi.
- Storage: 4GB on-device, unlimited Cloud.
Kindle Paperwhite by Amazon (Our #1 Best Seller in 2016)
This Third generation (2015 model) Kindle Paperwhite contains a handful of one-of-a-kind features such as e-ink reader Carta display technology, Goodreads social integration, 25% faster processor for faster page turn-over, (Updated 300 dpi), better response to touch input, no usage restrictions and improved LED illumination. This lighter model is ideal for those individuals who are always on the go, as it weighs in at just 7.3 ounces, which makes it easy to handle.
• Battery Life: 8 weeks (w/wireless off)
• Dimensions: 6.7″ x 4.6″ x 0.36″
• Screen Size: 6″
212 ppi 300 ppi
• Weight: 7.3 oz
• Storage: 4 GB upgraded in 2014 – Over 1,000 books
Kindle Touchscreen eReader – Kindle Basic 6th Gen (2015 Budget Kindle)
The Kindle Touchscreen eReader is Amazon’s most affordable device (2014 latest model) yet, and with features such as Goodreads, FreeTime, Vocabulary Builder and Word Wise, it is proof that you don’t have to sacrifice performance for price.
Built-in Wi Fi allows you to download books in just 60 seconds, from anywhere you have a connection. And with over a million titles priced at under $4.99, you will have no trouble finding new and exciting reading selections any time you want them!
- Dimensions: 6.7″ x 4.7″ x 0.40″
- Battery Life: Up to four weeks
- Screen Size: 6″
- Weight: 6.7 oz
- Resolution: 167 ppi.
- Storage: 4GB on-device, unlimited Cloud.
Kindle Fire (2015)
Amazon’s latest offering in their Kindle line is their most inexpensive tablet to date. At just $49.99, it is the most economical tablet on the market, but don’t let the low price fool you. The new Fire still packs a powerful punch.
Access to Amazon Underground gives you thousands of free games and apps, even popular ones like Angry Birds and Frozen. And with more than 38,000 movies available for download on Prime Video, you are guaranteed to find something you want to watch!
- Dimensions: 7.5″ x 4.5″ x 0.4″
- Battery life: Up to seven hours of continuous entertainment play.
- Screen size: 7″
- Weight: 11.0 oz.
- Resolution: 1024 x 600 (171 ppi)
- Storage: 8GB on-device, 128 additional memory.
- $50 Only Price Tag
Fire HD 7″ 2015 by Amazon
The Fire HD by Amazon is one of the best eReaders of 2015. It comes with handy features designed to make life easier, including a high quality reading speed tracker and features such as FreeTime for parents who need to set limits on their child’s screen time. From the time it was released to the public, this Kindle has received high marks from users on various online sites including Amazon.
We would rate it as the “Best Budget and Value Color Tablet” for 2015!
•Battery Life: 8 hours w/mixed usage
•Dimensions: 7.5″ x 5.0″ x 0.42″
•Screen Size: 7″
•Resolution: 1280 x 800 (HD Resolution)
•Weight: 12.2 ounces
•Storage: 16 GB
The new Fire HD 8 is Amazon’s answer to high tech. Available in four eye-catching colors, the tablet features a lightning fast 1.5 GHz quad core processor and the updated Fire OS 5 operating system designed for quick access to apps, games and content. And with full access to Amazon Underground, users can download thousands of games and apps for free, including unlocked levels, add-on packs and more.
- Battery life: Up to 8 hours of continuous entertainment usage.
- Dimensions: 8.4″ x 5.0″ x 0.3″
- Screen size: 8″ touchscreen
- Resolution: 1280 x 800 (189 ppi)
- Weight: 11.0 oz.
- Storage: Either 8GB or 16 GB of internal memory, up to 128 GB of additional memory.
The Amazon Fire HD 10 is their largest tablet. With an impressive widescreen 10.1″ HD display and a fast 1.5 GHz quad core processor, this tablet is made for entertainment. Games, movies and apps will appear in vivid detail, and with the HD 10 almost 2x more durable than the Apple iPad Air, you won’t have to worry about it getting broken as you take it along on your adventures.
And with fast email, web browsing and tech support, you’re never far away from the things you need to keep life running smoothly.
- Battery life: Up to 8 hours of continuous entertainment.
- Dimensions: 10.3″ x 6.3″ x 0.3″
- Screen size: 10.1″
- Resolution: 1280 x 800 (149 ppi)
- Weight: 15.2 oz.
- Storage: 16 GB or 32 GB of on board memory, 128 GB of add on memory.
- Only about $200 – Best 10 inch screen tablet Deal
Samsung Tab 4 (NOOK)
This is a Barnes and Noble eReader, available in both black and white. It comes with an expandable memory, stunning resolution, popular NOOK applications, $200 of free content, a $5.00 starter credit, front and rear facing cameras and built-in GPS to enable location-based applications. The device is powered by the Android system. This full-featured and high-performance eReader comes with Barnes and Nobles award-winning reading experience, which makes it a wise choice.
•Battery Life: Up to 10 hours with general usage
•Resolution: 1280 x 800 pixel resolution
•Weight: 9.74 oz
•Storage: 32GB with micro SD card
NOOK GlowLight Plus
This is another best eReader update 2017 from Barnes and Noble that is only available in white. This device comes with a high resolution e-ink display, GlowLight, handpicked fonts to optimize reading, up to eight weeks of battery life, over 3 million books to choose from, the ability to borrow and share books for free, and in-store NOOK support. It is one of the lightest and most comfortable eReaders on the market. Since it’s introduction to the public, NOOK has proven itself to be a global contender in the eReader marketplace.
•Battery Life: Up to 8 weeks
•Resolution: 300-dpi screen
•Weight: 6.2 ounces
•Storage: 4GB Memory
Eight Things to Look for in an eReader
Screen: E-ink or LCD?
• E-ink image displays reflect the ambient light in a room, so they look exactly like printed paper. LCD displays use a strong back light that is modulated using liquid crystals.
• Resolution is composed of thousands of pixels or dots. The higher the resolution, the better image quality you’ll receive. The highest resolution available at the time of this article is 300 dpi on an e-ink screen.
• eReaders come in different sizes, so when choosing one it is important to evaluate your needs to determine which one is the best fit for you.
• The battery life of your eReader is one of it’s most important features. Depending on the model that you choose, you could have as little as a few hours of battery life up to several days of usage on a single charge.
• Since eReaders are manufactured by different companies, you will usually only be able to download content from a specific source. If you purchase an eReader from Barnes and Noble, you will only be able to purchase and download content from the NOOK eBook store.
The Amazon Kindle only allows content from Amazon Kindle Bookstore and AppStore, however you can easily convert PDF and word documents into a support format like ePUB, so that they can be read on any device.
Navigation and User Interface
• When it comes to navigation and user interface, every eReader is different. Most eReaders feature an easy to navigate touch screen, and you should test the menu and outer buttons that are present on each device that you interested in purchasing in order to determine which is the most comfortable to use.
Usage – How Do you Plan to Use it?
• Are you going to spend hours and hours reading books? Or are you more of a “web browsing, mobile apps, emails, and documents” person? Simple e-ink Kindles are great for reading for long hours, but you’ll miss those “Smart Tablet” features that Kindle Fire can offer if you are the second kind of user.
Covers and Cases
• Every eReader needs a cover to protect it against the dirt and damage. An e-Reader can be used anywhere, but it is fragile and can be scratched and broken; therefore, a case is the ideal way to protect your investment. Covers come in many different styles and budgets, so it is simply a matter of choosing the one that is right for you.
• Thankfully, over the years, eReaders have become more affordable to purchase. Nowadays, you can easily purchase an e-reader for as little as $80 or spend up to $200.00 or more for full-featured devices.
We have reviewed several devices here for you, including the Kindle Voyage Latest, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 6, Paperwhite, Fire HD Tablets, the Samsung Tab 4 NOOK, and the Glowlight NOOK. eReaders are changing the way that we read and interact with our world. When you purchase an eBook Reader, you open up a world of reading that is unlike any you’ve ever experienced.
You have instant access to books, magazines, documents, newspapers, the internet and a whole new world of technology at your fingertips. And it just doesn’t get any better than that.