Looking for an e-reader that will take reading to a whole new level? Then check out Amazon’s 2 top-selling devices: the Kindle Paperwhite 3 (released in 2015) and the Kindle Paperwhite 2. These e-readers are a cut above the rest and causing quite a buzz, as consumers everywhere are debating which one is best. While they both give consumers their money’s worth, there are subtle, but important differences you should know before buying either one. To help you make the right choice we compiled this review of the Kindle Paperwhite 3 vs Paperwhite 2, so you can compare these e-readers side by side and see how they stack up.
image credit by imgur
Paperwhite 3 – 300 ppi: Greatness Personified ($40 off Prime Day 2018)
- 1 Paperwhite 3 – 300 ppi: Greatness Personified ($40 off Prime Day 2018)
- 2 Paperwhite 2: Style & Function All In One
- 3 What Separates The Paperwhite 3 from The Paperwhite 2
- 4 Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015) vs Paperwhite (2013): The Similarities are endless
- 5 The Paperwhite 3 Versus the Voyage
- 6 Pros & Cons
- 7 Q & A
The Paperwhite 3, or 3rd Generation, is an upgraded version of the Paperwhite 2. While most of the main features are the same, the differences make a BIG difference when it comes to quality. Let’s take a look at what it has to offer:
To save you time, check out the Difference Here:
|6.7" (H) x 4.6" (W) x 0.36"
|6.7" (H) x 4.6" (W) x 0.36"
- 300 ppi Resolution: The higher resolution improves clarity, eliminates glare and makes reading easy and comfortable. Images are crisp and clear, so there is no eye-strain whether you are reading in broad daylight or deep into the night. It’s great for students or professionals who will use it often as an easy, portable source of entertainment. Plus, only the Kindle Voyage has 300 ppi, and it costs almost $200- the Paperwhite 3 is only $119, so you are really getting a great value.
- Bookerly Font: This font is only for the Paperwhite 3 and improves the way words fit and flow on the screen. This font makes letters look more defined and takes up less space without being smaller than the other fonts. So you can fit more words on a page and read seamlessly.
- Sleek/Chic New Design: The 3 has the same black shell, but it has been upgraded. It has a subtle texture to it that makes it easier to grip and the Kindle and Amazon logos are in black, giving it an engraved, polished look.
- Built-In WiFi: The built-in WiFi feature means you can connect anywhere, giving you access to Amazon’s full library and other features wherever a connection is available.
- Best Price Online at Amazon
Paperwhite 2: Style & Function All In One
Amazon’s Paperwhite 2 has a lot to offer anyone who loves to read. From its long-lasting battery to its lightweight design it is a great choice for anyone looking for quality and style. Plus, with all the Kindle deals being offered, it comes at a great price. Let’s take a closer look:
- Lightweight Design: The Paperwhite 2 is 30% lighter than the iPad mini, making it easy to take with you wherever you go. It also makes it easy to hold with just one hand, so you can read even if you’re standing on a crowded train.
- 212 ppi Resolution: The 212 ppi resolution means there is no light reflecting back at you when you read, so you can use it on the beach or in the moonlight with no problem. The words are easy to see and stand out without being too bright.
- Ample Storage: This model can hold up to thousands of titles, so you don’t have to worry about erasing one book to make room for another one.
- Great Value: The Paperwhite 2 is just $109, making it a steal when you look at all it has to offer.
- $10 off comparing to Paperwhite 2015
What Separates The Paperwhite 3 from The Paperwhite 2
No doubt the 2015 Paperwhite is the Winner!
Now that you see what each device offers and what they have in common, let’s look at how they differ:
- Physical Specs: The 2015 has a matte finish with a gritty feel that makes it easy to grip. It also looks more sophisticated with its black on black detailing. The Paperwhite 2 has a smooth, shiny black finish, with details like the kindle logo written in white. It also weighs slightly less, making it feel better in your grasp.
This is a toss-up because the 2 weighs a bit less, but the 3 has a nicer style. If you want a bit more substance the 3 is the way to go, but if you are looking for something that feels feather light in your hands, go with the 2.
- Resolution: The latest model has a 300 PPI display, giving the pages a smoother, more defined look. Words flow easier and reading is quicker. Its predecessor has a 212 ppi, which gives it a nice clarity with no glare, but, compared against the Paperwhite 3, it is a bit harsher on the eyes.
The 3 wins here easily thanks to crystal clear resolution that eliminates any eye irritation. With the 3 you can read for longer periods of time, which is great for avid readers who don’t want to put down that great book.
- Font: The exclusive Bookerly font on the 3 gives reading a whole new dimension. Words look more cohesive and fit pages better, for a smoother reading experience. The Paperwhite 2 has a wide range of fonts, but none look as sharp as the Bookerly.
The 3 wins again thanks to a more streamlined reading experience. Bookerly gives any magazine, newspaper of book a smooth flow when reading, so it feels natural.
- Price: Both devices are a steal: the 3 is $119 and the $2 is $109. However, you get more with the 3 for just an extra $10, so the 3 wins in this category as well.
Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015) vs Paperwhite (2013): The Similarities are endless
The Paperwhite 3 and the 2 both have a lot of the same core features in common, which is why they are both solid choices. Let’s see the features they share:
- Extended Battery Life: Both devices can last for a month on a single charge. That means you don’t have to be hassled with constantly plugging it in or worry about it dying when you’re traveling.
- Amazon Library Access: Users of both the 3 and 2 have full access to Amazon’s libraries. That means thousands of e-books, magazines and more, right at your fingertips. Many of the titles are free and the ones you pay for are almost free thanks to all the Paperwhite discounts available.
- Built-in Light: The built-in front light makes it easy to read at nightwithout having to shield your eyes or strain to see clearer. Most tablets use backlights, which are bright and shine in your eyes.
- Interactive Features: Both let you hover over a word to see what it means, allow you to take notes and can translate books into other languages. They also both have Goodreads so you can share books and passages with friends and family and-ray, which lets you explore the facts behind the book (such as giving information about historical figures or places).
The Paperwhite 3 Versus the Voyage
The only other e-reader that can compete with the 3, besides the 2, is the Voyage. It shares all of the same features as the 3 but has the added ability to turn pages without lifting a finger and is lighter than the Paperwhite. The ability to just press down to turn the page is nice and the thinness makes it super comfortable. But it comes at a price. The Voyage costs $199, making those extras very expensive – which is why many feel the 3 is the better deal.
Pros & Cons
Both the Paperwhite 3 and the Paperwhite 2 have a lot to offer. Let’s look at the Pros & Cons for each:
Pro: On the plus side it gives users everything they want at a great price. The increased resolution and new font transform the reader’s experience. You can read a novel in any light without strain and the words look crisp without being too bright and hurting your eyes.
Con: On the negative side, shoppers can get all these features plus more with the Voyage, even if it does cost a lot more.
Pro: One of the best-priced tablets and a top seller, it offers a value that can’t be beaten and is one of the best quality readers around. You get a great value for your money and it is great for traveling thanks to its lightweight construction.
Con: On the downside, some models ship without 3G, which can be a bit of a hassle – although it can be added for an additional price. You just have to configure it yourself, which can be annoying.
Q & A
Here are some frequently asked consumer questions that can help you choose:
1. Does the Bookerly font really make a difference?
Yes. When you hold the 2 devices side-by-side you can see how much easier the font is on your eyes, making reading much more pleasurable.
2. How much clearer is the 300 ppi?
Much clearer. It makes the words stand out, without brightening the page, so reading feels even closer to that natural book feeling.
Shoppers love the Paperwhite 3 and the Paperwhite 2, and the reviews prove it. Users of the 3 say it’s “a marvelous replacement” and gush that they “love it”. Those who use the 2 say it’s “excellent all around” and “so amazing”. While each believes their device is the best, the one thing they each agree on is that these e-readers are the best of the best.
When it comes to the Kindle Paperwhite 3 vs Paperwhite 2, it is hard to choose a winner. Both are exceptionally made and offer users tons of extras to make reading more fun and informative. The Paperwhite 2 is a steal at just over $100, especially since it has such a high screen resolution and is super lightweight. However the 3 is just as impressive, and with an even better resolution and improved font choice, it is almost too good to pass up.
Whichever e-reader you choose, chances are you will be very satisfied. These are 2 high-end devices at bargain prices, so you really can’t make a wrong choice. The one thing that is certain is that whichever one you do choose will make you love reading even more than you already do. That’s something you can’t put a price on.